Thursday, September 1, 2011

Bible Reading and Prayer

I heard a statistic that the average Christian prays only 5 minutes a day and, if they read their Bible, it might be for 15 minutes a day. This Bible says that we are to pray without ceasing. Do I live my life in an attitude of prayer? Do I get into the Word so that the Word gets into me?

I believe both actions are related. I just completed an Experiencing God: Knowing and Doing the Will of God  by Henry and Richard Blackaby and Claude King. (I would recommend this teaching for everyone.) It teaches that "God pursues a continual love relationship with you that is real and personal." How can I know God if I don't read His Word? I can't! How can I really talk to God if I don't know Him? How more intimate can my conversations be with God if I actually knew Him?

I will be honest, I have been struggling with reading my Bible. My prayer life has be superficial. Along with that, my relationship with God has suffered. How can I have a relationship with someone if I don't even communicate with? I am going to purposely read my Bible and let you know how it is going.

In our nightly devotions with the girls, we were challenged to read one chapter from Proverbs for each day in the month of September.

What verse in Proverbs 1 jumped off the page?

Verse 7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
Boy, this verse could not be more of an affirmation that I am doing what I am supposed to do.

My daughter is using History Revealed--I am reading what she is reading in the Old Testament. Today it is Genesis 1-5.

I helped my other daughter with her Sunday School lessons. We read about Rehoboam and Jeroboam in 1 Kings 12:1-12 and 2 Chronicles 12:1-9. The lesson was about following God and being careful who you choose as friends.

I am reading from the New Testament everyday. I am going to read at least one chapter from the Gospel of Matthew.

I am hoping that I can type some insight into things that I read, but for right now I am going to be faithful to God and fellowship with Him through Bible reading and prayer.

No comments: