Saturday, May 9, 2009

A Terrible Injustice

Hard to believe--two posts in one day. I must be ill! LOL

I have been really thinking about my role as wife and mother. I have read many posts from my friends' blog, Keepers At Home and also from Generation Cedar. They have really got me thinking. I used to tell my girls that they need to go to college before they are allowed to date (it was said somewhat in jest, but the meaning was perfectly clear). I have done them a terrible injustice, which I am now trying to rectify. I cheapened the great profession of being a wife and mother. I think I can thank the "women's movement" for that.

I have been a SAHM since my first was born. I will say that the first time someone said to me "Oh, you don't work" I was terribly upset--my self-esteem plummeted. I had bought into the idea that unless I was financially contributing to the household, I was not worth much. WHAT A BUNCH OF FOOLISHNESS! I have been called to be the keeper of my home.

I know this is old-fashioned, but they got it right. Need to get back to the "old-fashioned" ways.


Do I think girls should not go to college? Absolutely not! I have no idea what God has in store for my girls. But I want to prepare them for all avenues. I want them to the seek God and do what is pleasing to Him NOT society.

I also fell into the "2 kids are enough" mentality. I was 35 when I had my first child and 38 after my second. I decided that would be my last--I didn't want to "burden" my children with an older parent. I had a tubal ligation. I would say that two was enough and if God really wanted me to have a third, He could make it happen. How arrogant of me. I do mourn the thought of what God might have planned for me if I trusted Him. Maybe two children was all He planned--I will never know. I have asked God to forgive me (which I know He has) and am making sure that my girls are better equipped not to fall in the same thought processes of the world.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Aww.. your post almost made me cry. And you know I don't do that. LOL
As the scriptures say we can't keep looking to the past. You are doing a great work now.
I'm glad you are my friend!