|Kids of Courage|
What is Kids of Courage?
The Voice of the Martyrs publishes Kids of Courage (formerly LINK) materials for children 5 to 13 so that families and schools can include children in learning about and serving the persecuted church. Kids of Courage publications are committed to:
- Educating students about courageous Christians and countries that restrict Christian worship.
- Encouraging students toward greater spiritual growth by giving them examples of those who are risking all for Christ.
- Providing practical opportunities for students to pray for and aid today’s heroes of the faith.
Richard Wurmbrand, a pastor in Communist Romania, was imprisoned for a total of 14 years because of his Christian activities. When his wife, Sabina, was also imprisoned for three years, their 11-year-old son, Mihai, was left alone to take care of himself. A few kind Christians helped him.
After Pastor Wurmbrand and Sabina were released and left Romania, they started a ministry in 1967 to inform Christians about the needs of their persecuted brothers and sisters around the world, and to help persecuted Christians and their families. The ministry, Jesus to the Communist World, was later renamed The Voice of the Martyrs. Today VOM works in more than 50 countries through its International Christian Association of mission offices.
What Kids of Courage resources are available?
- The Kids of Courage quarterly newsletter was launched in 1996 to inform children about Christians who stand firm in their faith even when it isn’t easy. The testimonies of struggling believers have strengthened the faith of thousands of kids and families. Selected issues are available on www.kidsofcouragemag.com.
- Bold Believers activity books include 40+ pages of stories, photos, activities, and cultural information about one topic or country. Many of the books are available for free download at www.kidsofcourage.com, or for purchase at www.vombooks.com.
- The www.kidsofcourage.com website supplements The Voice of the Martyrs newsletters with activities and stories related to recent information in VOM publications, plus additional material for children, parents, and teachers.
- The VOM bookstore features other resources for families and children.
- The Kids of Courage VBS curriculum introduces students to real Kids of Courage at risk for their faith today in five countries: China, Egypt, Nigeria, North Korea, and India. Students learn how bold believers around the world live, worship, and play. The lessons teach children how to pray for those who risk everything for their faith, and how to become Kids of Courage themselves. They learn that Kids of Courage: Trust God, Get Prepared, Remember Persecuted Christians, Forgive Others, and Witness Boldly. For more information and samples, visit www.kidsofcouragevbs.com.
Kids of Courage materials convey the struggles endured by persecuted Christians without including graphic descriptions or photos, or age-inappropriate concepts. Nevertheless, parents and teachers are encouraged to preview the materials before sharing them with their own children, as they know their children best.
Feedback received from parents, teachers, and children since the children’s newsletter started in 1996 has indicated that Kids of Courage materials are educating and encouraging children in appropriate ways. Additional feedback about any of the materials is welcome.